The traditional office as most people know it, has undergone tremendous changes in the last few years. In light of the move to more hybrid work environments, many companies have re-organized the physical configuration of their offices, with some even reducing or eliminating their physical office space altogether. The need to use office space more efficiently has caused many organizations to move away from traditional methods of document storage such as filing cabinets and banker’s boxes, to space-saving digitized files and records.
To accomplish their digitization project, organizations need to consider whether they should scan their documents in-house or outsource the project to a trusted partner. To help organizations make a decision regarding their next document scanning project, we’ve put together a list of 10 benefits to outsourcing document scanning.
10 Benefits to Outsourcing Document Scanning
1. Use of high quality, efficient scanners: Outsource providers have high volume, efficient scanners that will create better quality images than the desktop scanners you have at your office. Professional scanners can also scan multiple document sizes and formats such as legal documents, books and even microfiche.
2. Leverage highly trained staff with extensive scanning experience: Working with an outsource provider means that your project will be handled by trained, experienced staff who know how to categorize and scan your documents properly. Using experienced professionals will help to ensure that your project is completed efficiently, without interrupting your day to day operations.
3. Improve data security, with a SOC 2 Type II audited outsource provider: Outsourcing your document scanning to a trusted partner who is SOC 2 Type II audited will provide you with improved data security and peace of mind. Organizations that are SOC 2 type II audited have their physical and information security regularly tested, validated and audited, providing you with assurance around their information protection procedures and how well their systems and controls operate.
4. Increase quality assurance check points: Professional outsource partners will have multiple quality control check points that check for basic standards including legibility, completeness of overall image, completeness of detail and colour fidelity. The enforcement of scanning standards will help to ensure a successful digitization project.
5. Manage total project costs: After completing a thorough review of your requirements, outsource providers will provide you with an estimate for your document scanning project, detailing the total costs involved. Completing a scanning project in-house can often lead to unanticipated costs and expenses.
6. Minimize document preparation: Documents can be delivered to your outsource provider without needing to prepare them in advance. The experienced staff will handle all document preparation including removing staples, repairing small tears and flattening folds are creases.
7. Access to electronic document management expertise: A trusted outsource provider can recommend and implement a document management software solution for your digital files once your scanning project is complete.
8. Focus on corporate business objectives: Choosing to complete your scanning project in-house means taking your employees away from their day to day tasks. Using an outsource provider for your project will enable your team to focus on the daily operations of your business and achieving corporate objectives.
9. Ensure compliance standards are met: Outsource providers can help guide you during the storage and destruction stages of your scanning project. As experienced professionals, they are familiar with government regulatory obligations and the necessary compliance standards.
10. Save time: For paper-heavy organizations with multiple filing cabinets and banker’s boxes full of files, using an outsource provider for scanning projects can save a lot of time compared to doing it in-house. This is especially true if you are accessing many of these documents on a frequent basis.
Octacom is a SOC 2, Type II Audited enterprise software and services company focused on document and data automation solutions, including automated data capture. Founded in 1976, Octacom specializes in accounts payable automation and automated invoice processing, among other digital / automated business process outsourcing services.
If your organization is looking to learn more about our solutions and services, please contact us and we would be glad to help.