Although most organizations have seen a dramatic decrease in the amount of paper-based communications in the ever-evolving digital world, “there is still a significant amount of correspondence conducted via paper.” (IDC) Corporate mailrooms continue to be tasked with handling large volumes of incoming paper mail, typically using slow and manual processes that are a true disconnect to the digital approach to the rest of the business. By digitizing your corporate mailroom, you can fully integrate your paper mail into your existing digital operations and workflows, maximizing its value and utility.
A digital mailroom service provider automates the processing of incoming paper mail by “scanning it on entry and delivering it electronically to the appropriate department or process.” (AIIM) There are five steps required to successfully digitize your corporate mailroom:
1. Create the business case internally.
A digital mailroom will provide your organization with a number of key benefits:
- Increased Access to Information: Documents will be easy to share, search and access from anywhere. You can easily control access to documents with a centralized database, such as Octacom's OdissTM document management software.
- Enhanced Data Security: Confidential data is kept safe and the risk of lost or stolen data is prevented using robust technology and safeguards. Audit trails are in place to monitor access to information.
- Reduced Operational Costs: Outsourcing mail handling needs will save resources on opening, extracting and forwarding print mail. Automating the digitization of mail and corresponding data capture will drastically reduce the time and energy spent on traditional mail handling.
- Elimination of Bulky Paper Storage: Paper documentation takes up valuable space and is susceptible to physical damage, loss, misfiling and privacy breaches. Outsourcing the digitization process will eliminate the need for paper storage in your mailroom.
- Accelerated Turnaround Times: Manual mail sorting and data entry is slow and susceptible to errors. In addition, physically transporting paper throughout your organization is inefficient. A digital mailroom will help information get into the right hands faster and enhance the customer experience.
2. Partner with a trusted outsource provider to assist with a seamless integration.
Choose an outsource provider that can facilitate a smooth transition to a digital mailroom. The digital mailroom services provided by Octacom include:
- Receive, open and prepare documents for scan (remove staples, mount small items and repair tears).
- Scan paper documents to create high-resolution electronic records.
- Perform data capture and administer quality control to ensure images are clear and data fields are correct.
- Deliver the digital files and corresponding data in a variety of formats and custom output options.
- Secure document destruction can be arranged following an agreed-upon short-term retention period.
3. Train internal staff on new processes.
By working with a trusted outsource provider, you will receive all the training you will need to successfully train your own internal staff on new processes associated with your transition to a digital mailroom. Experts agree that you can increase employee adoption of new technology by focusing on the value that it provides over existing processes.
4. Implement mail forwarding at the post office.
Streamline the management of your incoming mail and PO Box servicing by implementing mail forwarding with Canada Post directly to your digital mailroom outsource provider.
5. Receive mail in a digital format for integration into existing systems.
Outsourcing and automating the management of your paper mail will enable you to digitally manage incoming correspondence such as invoices, claims, sweepstakes, rebates and onboarding documents. Octacom integrates with your existing software, making it easy for you to retrieve, analyze and distribute digitized mail with just a few clicks.
Octacom is a SOC 2, Type II Audited enterprise software and services company focused on document and data automation solutions, including automated data capture. Founded in 1976, Octacom specializes in accounts payable automation and automated invoice processing, among other digital / automated business process outsourcing services.
If your organization is looking to learn more about our solutions and services, please contact us and we would be glad to help.